Hi,

I think the most uncontroversial part is not treating T& as T; I fully agree
with it. I think it is fine to reject them in QMetaType::fromType. It is a
SC breaking change, but I expect it to only affect template code, which
can rather easily fix it by explicitly using remove_ref. Can be done for
6.5, but I'd argue it should be done even for 6.4.

I also agree with changing QVariant to only handle types that are default
constructible, copyalbe and destructible =>
https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/422249 when it gets a check
for destructible.

I think we do need a way to correctly represent non-const references in the
metatype system for QMetaObject. We support references in connect (see
tst_QObject::connectWithReference()), at least when using PMF syntax. If we
want to properly handle this even when using QMetaMethods to connect, I expect
that we need the ability to tell T& apart from T.
That also can be used at runtime to give sensible warnings about things that
are wonky, like creating a queued connection involving reference tpyes. If
we simply were to use invalid metatypes, it would be hard to tell "type was
incomplete, please include its header" apart from "you're using a reference
here, don't do that".

I'm in favour of allowing non-default-constructible, non-destructible and/or
non-copyable types as metatypes. Well, I don't see a use case for
non-destructible yet, but I can see uses-cases for supporting move-only types.

Lastly, an aside: Q_DECLARE_METATYPE being effectively unnecessary was the
goal for Qt 6, but is not the case yet. I consider that a bug that should
finally be fixed in 6.5.

Fabian