The basic question: does it mean moving any public class / function from one
lib into another? If so, how do you want to resolve the BC issue, especially on
Win?

Jarek

From: Development <development-boun...@qt-project.org> on behalf of Marc Mutz
via Development <development@qt-project.org>
Sent: Monday, May 6, 2024 9:02 AM
To: development@qt-project.org
Subject: [Development] Moving QDesktopServices from Gui to Core?

Hi,

Juha is currently improving the OAuth implementation in QtNetworkAuth.
The protocol involves launching the system browser to get an access
code, in turn used to get access tokens with which services can then be
accessed.

OAuth therefore requires a UI to run the browser in, but not necessarily
a _G_UI (the system browser could be lynx). Even if a CLI tool like a
mail fetcher, backup program, or VPN client will eventually launch
Firefox or Chrome, I think it's too much to ask to link to QtGui just to
do the equivalent of exec xdf-open <url>.

I've looked at the implementation of openUrl(), and the only
Gui-dependency is on the platform helpers. The handler registration is
only using Core functionality.

I would therefore propose to move the services code from Gui to Core
(QTBUG-125085), so QtNetworkAuth can access it w/o incurring a Gui
dependency.

After a quick look, I can see two ways to do that:
- keep the platform handling code in the platform helpers, incl. Gui
dependency, and only move the handler registration to Core
- move the platform url handlers out of the platform helpers into (a
plugin for) Core

The first would enable users to write their own handlers w/o Gui
dependency, but has the disadvantage that the code behaves differently,
depending on whether QtGui is loaded or not.

The second would be more work, but with consistently better user experience.

Is there a reason other than history for the openUrl handlers to be in
the platform handlers? We have XDG-code in QtCore already (mime types),
so we should have all the information in Core already to implement the
functionality, should we not?

Thanks,
Marc

--
Marc Mutz <marc.m...@qt.io> (he/his)
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company
Erich-Thilo-Str. 10 12489
Berlin, Germany
www.qt.io

Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Jouni Lintunen
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin,
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg,
HRB 144331 B