Hi,

I would like to request a feature freeze and provisioning freeze exception for
SBOM (Software Bill of Materials) generation.

https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/546923
https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qt5/+/561694

SBOM generation is about shipping some text files alongside the built Qt
libraries, that describe things like 3rd party dependencies used, checksums of
built files, copyright info, license info, etc.
Some details at https://www.ntia.gov/page/software-bill-materials

SBOM generation for Qt was planned for 6.8, but it is likely won't be finished
in time for FF.

The generation itself only requires build system changes, no C++ API changes
required.

The only user-facing changes would be a new opt-in configure flag (.e.g -sbom)
and additional files being installed as part of Qt (one spdx.json file for each
repository built).

Verification and auditing of the generated files needs some additional python
packages to be available during the CI build, hence the request for
provisioning exception.

The impact for those who don't opt-in should be zero, and for the CI,
installing some additional python packages is nothing new, and hopefully
shouldn't cause any breakage.

We'd like to have this in for 6.8 because it's an LTS release, and because of
the new EU CRA law (Cyber Resilience Act) pending.

It would also be good to receive feedback during 6.8 release whether we lack
any info in the generated SBOM, so we can fix it for the LTS.

Regards,
Alexandru.