Up until the latest round of updates, I was able to build a custom kernel
and custom image using ubuntu-image as long as I didn't run ubuntu-image
with '-c edge'.  However, regardless of whether I build the image using '-c
edge' or not, my system is pretty much brain dead.

It boots the first time just fine - I'm able to get through the first-boot
configuration, login via ssh, and create my default user.

I then login and install a snap such as hello-world.  This seems to work
fine: ubuntu-core is downloaded first, then hello-world.  I am able to run
hello-world.

I then reboot the system.  Towards the end of the boot, I see the system
fail to start the snappy daemon several times then gives up.

The log from the reboot shows several iterations of the following...

Oct 19 16:37:30 localhost systemd[1]: snapd.service: Service hold-off time
over, scheduling restart.
Oct 19 16:37:30 localhost snapd[1766]: error: cannot downgrade: snapd is
too old for the current system state (patch level 4)
Oct 19 16:37:30 localhost systemd[1]: snapd.service: Main process exited,
code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Oct 19 16:37:30 localhost systemd[1]: snapd.service: Unit entered failed
state.
Oct 19 16:37:30 localhost systemd[1]: snapd.service: Failed with result
'exit-code'.
Oct 19 16:37:31 localhost systemd[1]: snapd.service: Service hold-off time
over, scheduling restart.
Oct 19 16:37:31 localhost systemd[1]: snapd.service: Start request repeated
too quickly.
Oct 19 16:37:31 localhost systemd[1]: snapd.socket: Unit entered failed
state.

As I said above, up until recently, I've been able to avoid this problem by
NOT using 'edge'.  However, I can no longer work around this.

Can someone help me get past this?  Obviously, without the snappy daemon, I
can't do much on my target system.

Thanks, Mike