On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, little bark, BIG BYTE!! wrote:

> Charlie Brady wrote:
>
> >I'd be *very* happy for someone to work out a kernel 2.4.x and ext3
> >upgrade strategy.  I'd be interested in doing it myself, but I don't have
> >the time to do it right now, and I don't have an urgent need for it
> >either.
>
> Ahh, on one hand there should be no fork . . .

Indeed. I don't think it would be helpful. Has anyone benefited from the
AxonLinux adventure? Sure some people have got systems which have a 2.4
kernel and XFS, but they are way out of date, unsupported, and can't
easily be upgraded. Nothing from that project has made its way back into
the mainstream.

Developing a HOWTO for a 2.4 kernel upgrade and ext3 file system migration
wouldn't constitute a project fork, and would be a help to those wanting
to investigate that territory. There's been a lot of noise here, but has
anyone actually tried to upgrade an SME server to use the latest RedHat
2.4 kernel?

> on the other, Mitel is interested in seeing these items accomplished
> and on the foot, they are saying "Yes, go ahead, we think that would
> be real nice, keen thing that, it's just that we don't really want to
> contribute at this point,

Isn't that what various other people are saying here? Why is it OK for
them to say it, but not for me, for example, to take the same position? Do
I owe you something?

> but we would really rather that you not take this anywhere
> else.

> >Even if there were agreement (which there isn't) we are still left with
> >question of who should do it. We all have all of the ingredients, so any
> >of us could do it. Is there any good reason that we should ask, say,
> >Darrell to do it, rather than ask you?
>
> This is the easy one, he has the knowledge for this, I do not.

OK, choose someone else then. Is there any good reason that we should ask,
say, Greg Zartman to do it, rather than asking Darrell?

Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739