We need more seednodes. I will explain the broader situation below. If you can
run a seednode - which means you need a forwarded port, a reasonably static IP
address (or dyndns name), and a reasonable amount of bandwidth (especially
upstream), and a reasonably stable node, please send me your opennet noderef
(from the strangers page in advanced mode), and enable "Be a seednode" in the
advanced config. Thanks.

Details:

One of the problems Freenet has at the moment is that bootstrapping a new node
can take an awfully long time - 20 minutes or more sometimes. It is not clear
why; we seem to either get rejected by seednodes (most of the time), or they
return nothing, maybe a few "not wanted" notices, or they return lots of
noderefs and we manage to announce.

This might be due to bugs. 1343 fixed a bug that apparently badly affected some
seednodes. However it appears most seednodes have upgraded now.

There doesn't seem to be a problem with losing connections - backoff yes but
once a node is connected it seems to mostly stay connected.

The most likely answer seems to be that we just don't have enough seednodes to
cope with the load.

It is also possible that this is due to an attack. It did come on relatively
suddenly a few weeks ago (it was bad before but it got much worse), and it
seems to have got significantly worse in the last week. It is not clear how we
would identify an attack if that was the problem; there are no obvious signs so
far.

It is also possible it is a client-side bug. Testing of the master branch would
be useful, it has some small changes.