On 02/09/2011 04:13 PM, Ian Clarke wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 11:30 PM, Volodya <volo...@whengendarmesleeps.org
> <mailto:volo...@whengendarmesleeps.org>> wrote:
>
>     Once people see indexes, they already can start playing with Freenet
> after all.
>     Activelinks can also help them to know that they are able to fetch them
>     successfully (maybe that could be the popup on each activelink "If you
> see an
>     image, you can load the freesite").
>

> Having to rely on pop-ups to explain how to use your user interface is a good
> sign that there is something seriously wrong with your user interface.
>
> Activelinks were an ugly kludge that were originally inspired by those
> "Netscape
> Now!" buttons you used to see everywhere until everyone suddenly realized they
> were hideous back around 1998.
>
> Ian.

You have completely misunderstood what i was saying. The tooltip was an 'extra',
not the explanation of the user interface. Without the tooltip, the activelink
works just as well. Almost everybody who is familiar with icons (and that is
really almost everybody) will recognise them for what they are, and those few
who have not seen icons on their screen yet have surely seen rectangular
buttons.

I, on the other hand, have always set activelink as a kin of favicon, but one
that exists on the Freenet rather than usual web.

There is a problem with Activelinks, as they exist on 0,7, but that is a
discussion for the completely different thread.

I must confess that i didn't know that Activelinks were inspired by "Netscape
Now!" buttons. That is an interesting piece of history, thanks for sharing it. I
once was inspired by Red Hot Chilli Peppers' song and wrote a poem, you can read
it at http://freedom.libsyn.com/poem_to_hatemongerers_by_volody_a_v_a if you'd
like.

             - Volodya

- --
http://freedom.libsyn.com/     Echo of Freedom, Radical Podcast

 "None of us are free until all of us are free."    ~ Mihail Bakunin