On Monday 18 Apr 2011 15:49:50 xor wrote:
> Hi,
> while looking at a screenshot of Sone and being impressed at it I had the
> following marketing idea:
>
> We have FlogHelper, Freemail, Sone, Web Of Trust and Freetalk.
> If we integrate them all on the web interface properly and extend them with
> some features we could get many of the interesting Facebook features:
> - Sone already provides the core of Facebook - the wall-style messaging
> - Freemail will provide private messaging if zidel's GSoC project is taken
> and
> succeeds
> - Profile pages could be done at WOT. Easy to implement

And important IMHO. They must link to ALL the WoT services. I.e. you click on
somebody in Freetalk and go to their profile, then you click a button to send
them a private message, or see their flog, or whatever.

> - Photo albums are also easy to implement and could be done in WOT or Sone

Or FlogHelper? I guess it would be best to separate and integrate...

Photos are clearly valuable even if the traditional usages of them are far from
anonymous.

But we need more broadly to make it really easy for individual users to publish
files of all sorts. If they are pictures they should be in galleries; if they
are bigger files they might just be searchable. There is likely some overlap
here...

> - Freetalk provides the group-collaborating / classic Internet messaging
> (- FlogHelper would be a bonus, not related to Facebook but blogging is also
> popular on the net)
>
> IF we get a decent new web interface done which integrates all of those, we
> could make a theme which completely looks like Facebook and then do a major
> press release which claims something like "Freenet project implements
> anonymous Facebook". This would probably hit most of the IT news sites and
> help usability very much because there are hundreds of millions of Facebook
> users and Facebook is a major buzzword.

And probably result in legal issues e.g. trademark violation.

> This is also not solely a marketing idea, it is somewhat needed for a good
> code architecture which avoids duplication:
> We have to find a way of making WOT UI available in all WOT-clients without
> code duplication. This requires some serious internal architecture
> improvements of the web interface probably.

Strongly in favour. We need the Community menu for managing trust levels, and
if we do it properly it can do a lot more than that.