Am Sonntag, 1. November 2015, 14:27:50 schrieb Bob Ham:
> On Sat, 2015-10-31 at 22:18 +0100, Bert Massop wrote:
>
> > Nor did I learn how documenting a protocol,
> > what you seem to be advocating endlessly, would help just the slightest
> > bit in getting there.
>
> I was assuming the audience was aware of how protocols are usually
> developed on the Internet.  Here is some information about how Internet
> protocols are developed and published:
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Request_for_Comments

Back when I was a moderator in the Gnutella Development Forum (The_GDF
mailinglist) we did RFC style development. I enjoyed it very much and
learned a lot about which later helped me during studying.

But that was with on average 5 or more different teams, 2 of whom had
at least 5 full-time paid developers each.

The Internet is being developed by full-time paid staff at large
companies and by researchers at major universities.

In these environments, RFC style development makes sense.

In contrast, Freenet is developed by a handful volunteers. We do the
parts we want to see done, and those are at the moment either to
improve the robustness of Freenet or to increase its utility for
users.

Also we cannot just hire someone to spec the protocol, and 40k$ wouldn’t
suffice to get a developer with sufficient experience to lay down his
or her current job and start working on documenting the Freenet
protocol in RFC style.

So if you want it done, you need to do it yourself, to find someone
who wants to join Freenet development and document the protocol as a
volunteer, or raise about 140k$ to be able to higher a professional
for 2 years (I don’t know anyone with sufficient skills willing to lay
down a permanent job for less than that in a temporary position).

Best wishes,
Arne