I finally got freenet.jar compiled and profiled. First, size-related
numbers:

Number of lines removed: ~5000
freenet.jar shrink: ~200k

And profiling data (see below for details):

freenet.support.FileLoggerHook$WriterThread.run: 8,35% (3)

freenet.support.Log.isLoggable: 0.09% (17)
freenet.support.Log.write: 0,03% (26)

These numbers come from a sanity check run, and _do not_ represent what
would happen in a real test run. Both were run in an empty directory for
a few minutes and then shut down. Of special note is the lack of the
seed nodes list, leaving out, I'd guess, 80% of fred code. Also, lazy
evaluation isn't used, so Log.write()'s share can be expected to rise.

There are still a few things to do before I can say whether predicates
are indispensable or not.