Hello,

I was hoping to get some feedback on my Google Summer of Code
application. I've noticed that the lack of detailed information
available on network topology, link distribution, and overall makeup
and health makes it difficult to make decisions on how to improve
network performance. To that end, I'd like to:

- -Clean up the existing probe code: document, improve readability, and
 correct errors and annoyances. To name some examples:
    -Peer locations are reported as doubles with known/unknown, backed
     off/not backed off encoded into the value, and there are some
     ambiguities in these values. I'd like to make a Location class
     instead with separate reported fields.
    -Probe traces can still be returned after a completion message;
     waiting a while for more traces could be nice.
- -Make probes available over FCP:
    -Document along with other FCP messages. [0]
    -I've already started initial implementations of these changes in
     Fred [1] and lib-pyFreenet. [2]
- -Plot network attributes revealed through probe requests:
    -Node churn
    -Network size
    -Link length distribution
    -Graphs of topology: Gephi [3] could be useful here.
    -I've already started an initial implementation of such a tool. [4]
- -Implement the probes and traces described in bugs #3568 [5] and #3550
 [6]. I don't have experience adding new message types to Fred - I've
 only registered a message type from a plugin [7], so I'm not sure what
 it involves or if it's within the scope of a summer. I'd appreciate
 anyone's thoughts on this.

Is anyone willing to mentor me on this project?

Thanks,
Steve Dougherty

[0] http://new-wiki.freenetproject.org/FCPv2#Messages
[1] https://github.com/Thynix/fred-staging/tree/FCPProbes