I'm resurrecting this thread since we now have an urgent need to
implement it.

See http://www.nabble.com/One-WAR-with-everything%2C-one-empty-WAR-
and-or-one-WAR-per-database--tf4054670.html#a11517330 for details.

The problem is that I've just discovered we're using Maven wrongly in
the platform/web modules. We're using classifiers to release DB-
flavors of the XWiki WAR. This is apparently not fully supported by
Maven. The problem is that when you release an artifact on a remote
repository with Maven it updates a metadata file with the version of
that artifact (if it's a SNAPSHOT it's resolved to a timestamped
version). The problem is that metadata file doesn't include
classifier information so there's  single "last updated" version. As
we're releasing the HSQLDB and MySQL versions separately this
metadata file is always wrong for one of the artifact, thus making
dependent projects fail often since the SNAPSHOT version they're
trying to retrieve doesn't exist!

There are 2 solutions:
A) Package a generic WAR and then have 2 separates modules to
repackage it with DB data (thus leading to different artifactId - no
more issue with classifiers)
B) Implement the solution I was recommending below, i.e. generate a
XWiki WAR without DB information (i.e. not-configured
hibernate.cfg.xml file and no DB drivers). Solution 3 below.

So far, if I recap the discussion thread we had:

- Sergiu: +1 for solution 3
- Vincent: +1 for solution 3
- Artem: +1 for solution 3
- David: +1 for solution 2

I still think it's better if we have platform artifacts that are
independent of databases. For me XWiki configuration is an activity
that should be done in XWiki products and not in the platform.

Another point is that since we now have a 1.1 branch too, we have to
build and release 4 WARs (for 2 Databases - MySQL and HSQLDB). Very
soon we'll have XEM which  will probably require to use Derby for its
standalone installation leading to 6 WARs... Each WAR takes between 5
minutes to 30 minutes to build and upload (35MB) so that's starting
to weight on our dev process too (not counting the bandwidth cost and
disk space issues).

Using Solution 3) will also solve the problem of having to define an
arbitrary location for the HSQLDB database files which is an ugly
hack we currently have...

We also now have nice installers and the next step for these
installers is to allow users to decide what DB to use at installation
time.

We need to move quickly since this issue is causing false positives
in our builds.

If you haven't guessed I'm still in favor of solution 3... ;)

Thanks
-Vincent