On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Vincent Massol <vinc...@massol.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mar 15, 2013, at 1:21 PM, Eduard Moraru <enygma2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Are we sure we want to drop the $msg binding in the future [1]?
>
> IMO yes, for consistency, but it's a good question to ask. It's not just
> about $msg but about all bindings. If we allow "shortcut aliases for
> bindings" we need to make this general and allow any services binding to
> offer shortcuts.
>
> One reason we introduced $services was to keep the xcontext namespace free
> for applications to use.

s/xcontext/script context/

The idea was to keep the script bindings at a minimum so that it's not
a nightmare to find names for variables you want to use in your
script.

I don't exactly see that in http://markmail.org/message/mv7psxctupfjkcu2 ;)

>> inside scripts and we would basically have 2 options:
>> 1. use $services.localization.render('key') (you fall asleep writing this
>> every time)
>> 2. always declare a variable in your script like #set ($keys =
>> $services.localization) and then do $keys.render('key')
>
> 3. Use the translation macro if you're in wiki pages: {{translation key="…"/}}
>
>> AFAIK, we have already considered in the past that a similarly used service
>> like $services.model is already becoming a bit annoying having to write the
>> oh-so-very-long "$services.model.createDocumentReference(wiki,
>> space,name)"; do we want to get the same effect with the new localization
>> module?
>
> @Edy, we really need to commit the auto completion feature ;)
>
>> I understand and agree that the new localization module is more powerful
>> and flexible than the XWikiMessageTool, but I feel that those new features
>> are not required in day to day use and unnecessarily crowd/pollute the
>> regularly used API.
>
> You're loosing me here. I thought you were only talking about the binding
> name and here you start to say that you want to go back to XWikiMessageTool?
>
>> This transition should IMO be smoother
>
> Smoother than what?
>
>> and with less impact than what is
>> currently being proposed. If the new localization module can provide all
>> the features of the XWikiMessageTool, then I propose that we simply reuse
>> the $msg binding as it is and, in the background, transform
>> XWikiMessageTool into a facade (as I see we have already pretty much done
>> to preserve backwards compatibility), but agree that we *keep* $msg as the
>> simplified translations binding, to be used in day to day operations and,
>> for more complex tasks, the dev needs to use $services.localization instead.
>
> I don't understand what you mean. If your idea is to get $msg.get() rather
> than $msg.render() which is the new API then I don't agree. If what you
> propose is just to have a generic "script service alias" notion where $msg
> would be the same as $services.localization then I'm more inclined to think
> about it :)
>
> BTW I would not want to reuse the same name ($msg) because it's misleading.
>
>> Basically, I`m proposing to apply the KIS(s) principle. :)
>
> Another option is to not change anything at the level of java (i.e. no
> "script service alias") but in xwikivars.vm add a velocity variable named
> $l10n:
> #set ($l10n = $services.localization)
>
> This is basically your option 2) above but made generic by putting it in
> xwikivars.vm.
>
> Thanks
> -Vincent
>
>> WDYT?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eduard

If your "proposal" if to keep XWikiMessageTool it's a big -1 for me,
it simply does not make any sense.

I'm OK to vote some shortcut binding for $services.localization but that's it.

--
Thomas Mortagne