Hi,

I remember of having agreed also on exploring an alternative for
packaging XAR files in a simpler way that doesn't involve XML.
I did some work on this front: XWikiFS (https://github.com/fmancinelli/xwikifs)

It already works but it lacks the most important feature to make it
really usable... Synchronizing things downstream (from the wiki to the
xwikifs)

-Fabio