Yes, using the standard APIs for interacting with documents.

XWikiDocument doc = xcontext.getWiki().getDocument(<reference to
XWiki.XWikiPreferences>, xcontext);
doc.setIntValue(<reference to XWiki.XWikiPreferences>,
"authenticate_view", 1);
doc.setIntValue(<reference to XWiki.XWikiPreferences>,
"authenticate_edit", 1);
xcontext.getWiki().saveDocument(doc, xcontext);

Or, shorter and without using the deprecated old core APIs:

@Inject
private DocumentAccessBridge bridge;
bridge.setProperty(<reference to XWiki.XWikiPreferences>, <reference to

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/