It is working, but only if the default action is missing as well. So
indeed /bin/view/Page doesn't work ('view' is considered the space), but
/bin/Page does work. And as far as I know, it always worked this way.

When not considering nested spaces, I'm -0 for its removal, it's a
setting that's useful for shorter URLs in a mostly read only site (e.g.
public website). I don't have a clear grasp of how nested spaces work,
so I'm not sure how this setting affects nested spaces.

On 03/29/2016 09:35 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> I was reading the comment from Marius on
> https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-13223 and indeed it seems that the
> “xwiki.usedefaultweb” config parameter has not been working for a very long
> time (Marius says at least before 2.7). Locally I’ve tested a 5.2.4 version
> and indeed it’s not working.
>
> For Main.AllDocs the generated URL is:
> http://localhost:8080/xwiki/bin/view/AllDocs
>
> Maybe at some point we were counting the number of path segments after the
> action and if it was 1 and xwiki.usedefaultweb was set to true we would add
> “Main” as the space.
>
> However that’s not the case in XWiki 5.2.4 and probably earlier.
>
> In addition, with Nested Pages we’ve implemented the support of a single path
> element after the action. FTR, from BinEntityResourceReferenceResolverTest:
>
> // Test when single space segment, to be Nested Document friendly.
> // Normally the last segment is always the page name but we want to handle a
> special case when we
> // have "/view/something" and we wish in this case to consider that
> "something" is the space. This
> // is to handle Nested Documents, so that the user can have a top level
> Nested Document
> // (something.WebHome) and access it from /view/something. If we didn't
> handle this special case
> // the user would get Main.something and thus wouldn't be able to access
> something.WebHome. He'd
> // need to use /view/something/ which is not natural in the Nested Document
> mode.
> testCreateResource("http://localhost/bin/space";, "view",
>     buildEntityReference("wiki", Arrays.asList("space"), null),
> fullSingleSpaceReference, EntityType.DOCUMENT);
>
> I also don’t think it’s a big help for users to be able to omit the Main
> space since they need to keep the other spaces in the URL anyway.
>
> So I’m proposing to officially drop support for this parameter and remove it
> from xwiki.cfg since it has not worked for ages.
>
> WDYT? Have I missed something?
>
> Thanks
> -Vincent

Sergiu Dumitriu