The way I do this for another similar feature, using UIX objects, is to
add two new parameters, "enabled" and "order". When displaying the
extensions for a particular point, I request them ordered by the "order"
parameter, and then manually skip those for which the "enabled"
parameter is set to "false" -- if the parameter is missing, it's
considered enabled by default.

We can define that the order should have a value between 0 and 100, and
each extension can choose it's own relative number, as an expected
percentage, with the actual order depending on which other extensions
are installed and enabled, and their requested order.

As a more advanced feature, in PhenoTips we also have a wizard that
allows enabling/disabling and manually reordering extensions, by
modifying the extension parameters.

I didn't have time for this yet, but in the future I'd like to add
support for ordering and enable/disable flags in the core UIX module, so
that extensions are automatically filtered and ordered.

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu