I really don't like that only one authenticator can be enabled at a
time. This forces more specialized authenticators to explicitly inherit
another type of authenticator that should also be supported (see for
example NTLMAuthServiceImpl -> XWikiLDAPAuthServiceImpl ->
XWikiAuthServiceImpl). Ideally, we should have only one root
authenticator, which shouldn't be configurable at all, and which doesn't
authenticate itself but delegates to a dynamic list of pluggable
authenticators.

But this would take a lot longer to design and implement, so I'm just
going to vote +0 for your incremental improvement proposal.

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/