Users are very bad at reading or following instructions. It's likely
that they will download the file, double click it, and expect it to be
installed automatically.

If the extension is .zip, then the OS will silently unpack it, and the
user won't know what to do next. But since at least something happened,
they might actually think that the file installed itself, then wonder
why it still doesn't work.

If the extension is something special, then the OS won't know what to do
with it, and present a dialog warning that the file can't be opened, and
the user is more likely to search for information about how that file
can be installed.

The downside of it not being a .zip file is that when the user should
unzip it, it's a bit more difficult to do it.

+1 for .xip, it seems that nobody else is using it.

https://fileinfo.com/extension/xip

On 05/02/2017 10:43 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:

>> On 2 May 2017, at 16:36, Thomas Mortagne <thomas.morta...@xwiki.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 4:28 PM, Vincent Massol <vinc...@massol.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> all
>>> so
>>> in

>>> file
>>> about

>>> replace

>>> Sounds good.
>>>
>>> Regarding the naming, assuming we need a file extension other than ZIP,
>>> "XWiki Extension Package” seems like a package for a single XWiki Extension.
>>>
>>> Some ideas. Why not something in the name that suggest it’s a repository.
>>>
>>> For example: XWiki Extension Repository Archive or XWiki Repository
>>> Archive for short, which, using a 3LA, would translate into XRA.
>>>
>>> XAR = XWiki Archive = a single extension
>>> XRA = XWiki Repository Archive = a repository of extensions = several
>>> extensions
>>>
>>> We could also have XWiki Extension Repository, i.e. “XER”, which would
>>> also be one letter change from XAR:
>>>
>>> XAR = XWiki Archive = a single extension
>>> XER = XWiki Extension Repository = a repository of extensions = several

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu