On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 12:31 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
vali...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 12:09 PM, Vincent Massol <vinc...@massol.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Caty,
> >
> > > On 19 Jun 2018, at 17:29, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <vali...@gmail.com
> >
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi devs,
> > >
> > > Some ideas that could be applied to left panels area:
> > >
> > > * Mark "More applications" as expandable
> >
> > Seems good
> >
> > > * Provide a "Customize" panel button on hover
> >
> > I agree with the general idea.
> >
> > Some details:
> > * For admins only right?
> > * What does it do? We don’t have the concept of Panel administration ATM.
> > What would work is edit the panel page but then we may want to go further
> > than that. Editing  needs to be an option but some panel may provide an
> > admin UI too such as the Navigation Panel or the Applications Panel.
> Maybe
> > it’s time to update the Panel XClass and add an xproperty for the
> > administration of panels, which would be used if not empty.
> >

> In theory only for Admins, since they have access to Administration.
> Currently we have dedicated customizations for AppBar and Navigation, so
> having that button would help the discoverability. Being able to have it at
> the Panel class, could be nice, but I think it's interesting to have it at
> least as individual customizations for these 2 panels that are on the Left.
>

> > > * Some styling changes
> >
> > Sounds good
> >
> > > * Demo: show sticky left panels would behave
> >

> I made the sticky demo mostly as an experiment. I even don't know if I like
> it. It's problematic for the current skin, since the logo disappears on
> scrolling.
> I made the demo since we discussed once on the IRC about independent
> containers and wanted to see how it looks like. From an implementation POV
> it's a single "position: sticky" in CSS, but it's not supported in IE11. So
> this could be an option just for a newer skin or have JS to have the
> behavior.
>

> > I’m also not yet 100% sure about the sticky panels but why not, we should
> > discuss the details. What I don’t like are for cases when you have panels
> > that span more than a screenful vertically.
> >
> > It’s possible there’s not a single valid choice depending how you want to
> > implement your website and thus maybe the only option is to have this
> > configurable in the general Panel Admin UI (fixed panels or sticky
> panels).
> > That’s what would make the most sense to me. Once we have this, the
> default
> > should be what looks best with the default content we provide for XS.
> >

> Yeap, for KB having a sticky TOC or Navigation panel would look great

Only if the panel content fits the window height. Both the ToC and the
Navigation Panel can take a lot of vertical space (e.g. if you have a large
wiki and you expand the navigation tree). What will be the behavior if the
panels content is larger than the window height?