Hello,

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 9:07 AM Vincent Massol <vinc...@massol.net> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> We currently have
> https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DatabaseSupportStrategy
>
> However, it doesn’t say explicitly which versions we officially support:
> * For HSQLDB it says 2.3.3 which is wrong since the latest version is 2.4.1
> * For MySQL it says 5.x but doesn’t specify which specific version(s)
> * Same for other DBs
>
> We cannot really support every versions since supporting means testing too.
>
> So what I propose:
>
> Question 1: definition
>
> * We say we support the latest stable version of the databases for a given
> version cycle
> ** For MySQL, it’s the latest of the 5.x cycle, which is 5.7.24 as of today
> (see https://hub.docker.com/_/mysql/)
> ** For PostgreSQL,  it’s the latest of the 9.x cycle, which is 9.6.10 as of
> today (see https://hub.docker.com/_/postgres/)
> ** For Oracle, it’s the latest of the 11.x cycle, which is 11.2.0.4.0 as of
> today (see
> https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/index.html)

Does it also mean that we will have to add a step in the release
process to update these versions?

> Question 2: review what we support
>
> * For MySQL I think we could also start supporting MySQL 8.x (ie the latest
> version of that cycle). We have an issue open for it currently:
> https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15215
> * For PostgreSQL we could also start supporting versions 11.x (ie the latest
> version of that cycle)
> * For Oracle, we could also start supporting versions 12.x (ie the latest
> version of that cycle)

This will probably require more effort to support these versions but
it might be a good reason to update Hibernate :).

> Question 3: decide if we drop some support
>
> * Is there any cycle that we should support for? Right now I think that MySQL
> 5.x is still heavily used, same for postgreSQL 9.x I guess. Don’t know for
> Oracle.
> * Any idea?

I don't think we should drop support for older database versions as it
would require some users to upgrade their database.

> So WDYT about the 3 questions?
>
> Thanks
> -Vincent

Thanks,