On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 12:36 PM Vincent Massol <vinc...@massol.net> wrote:

> > On 23 Jan 2019, at 11:30, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> mariusdumitru.flo...@xwiki.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 4:10 PM Adel Atallah <adel.atal...@xwiki.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> To sum up, here is what I can do:
> >>
> >> On XWiki Commons:
> >> * Introduce a PropertyDisplayType annotation that we can use to
> >> specify with which type the macro parameter should be rendered.
> >> * Add the *display type* in the property descriptor (use the existing
> >> *property type* as default)
> >>
> >> On XWiki Rendering:
> >> * Add the *display type* in the parameter descriptor (use the existing
> >> *property type* as default)
> >>
> >> On XWiki Platform:
> >> * Use the PropertyDisplayType annotation, on reference macro
> >> parameters, with the EntityReference type (for the include and display
> >> macro)
> >>

> >> * Display a document picker for the EntityReference type and make sure
> >> free text is enabled (so that we can enter a reference manually)
> >>

> > It's not that simple.. If the reference parameter already has a value
> that
> > is not a document reference then by showing the document picker that
> value
> > will be parsed / resolved as a document reference and thus displayed as
> if
> > a document has been selected. This can confuse the users. For instance,
> if
> > someone writes in wiki syntax:
> >
> > {{include reference="path.to.p...@file.txt" type="ATTACHMENT"/}}
> >
> > and then edit the page with the WYSIWYG editor, he will see "txt" as
> > selected value when editing the macro…
>

> Yes, I agree, this is what I was mentioning by "However if the user has
> used the macro in wiki mode, we’ll need to only display the
> DocumentReference picker if the type is Document.”.

The issue is that this part "*display the DocumentReference picker if the
type is Document*" is not easy to express through the macro descriptor.
That is: display the picker P for parameter X if another parameter Y has
the value V. Plus, the picker would need to change if the value of the
other parameter changes. The WYSIWYG editor doesn't have custom code for a
specific macro. It just looks at the macro descriptor and does whatever is
specified there, for any macro. ATM it sees two separate parameters,
reference and type, each with its own "picker" (a plain text input field
for now). It doesn't know it needs to reload the picker for reference when
the value of type changes. A possible solution is to be able to associate a
picker to a parameter group (reference+type).

Thanks,
Marius