Hi Simon,

> On 7 May 2019, at 08:21, Simon Urli <simon.u...@xwiki.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm currently working on allowing inline editing on new wikimacros.

Why only on wikimacros? We also need to be able to edit existing wikimacros to
make them inline-editable.

> My first challenge right now is to cope with the problem of inserting the
> macro content and allowing to inline edit it.
>
> In order to do so, I propose to create two new dedicated macro:
>  - wikimacrocontent: would allow to insert and inline edit a wiki macro
> content
>  - wikimacroparameter: the same for a parameter.
>
> The idea would be to be able to write something such as:
>
> {{velocity}}
> {{wikimacrocontent/}}
> This is a content of $xcontext.macro.content.length() characters.
> {{/velocity}}

I don’t understand. The content is "This is a content of
$xcontext.macro.content.length() characters.” but it’s outside of
“{{wikimacrocontent/}}”, is this a typo? Did you mean:

{{wikimacrocontent}}
This is a content of $xcontext.macro.content.length() characters.
{{/wikimacrocontent}}

?

> So the purpose of those macros would be twofold:
>  1. to ease the insertion of macro content/parameters (no need to always use
> {{velocity}}$xcontext.macro.content{{/velocity}}

What is $xcontext.macro.content? I’ve never used that when writing wiki macros.

>  2. to create the dedicated metadata around the content and to be processed
> during wikimacro rendering to allow inline editing

I don’t see any start/end. Why not:

{{inlineEditable}}
My content that is inline editable
{{/inlineEditable}}

?

Another approach is to use scripting, as in:

$xcontext.macro.startInlineEditableContent()
My content that is inline editable
$xcontext.macro.stoptInlineEditableContent()

Or using velocity macros:

#startInlineEditableContent
My content that is inline editable
#stoptInlineEditableContent

Yet another idea would be to have a macro xclass parameter to make the whole
content inline editable (checkbox), and the 2 approaches above would be when
you need fine-grained details (ie not have the whole content inline editable).

Question: how is this done on other projects already using the concept of
inline editable wiki macros? (I know one that I think you looked at Simon, but
I don’t know how they did it :)).

Thanks
-Vincent