Hi,

I feel we're over-engineering things a bit, at least for a fist version. My
feeling is that the approach is to go with an UI-first version (the whole
talk about being able to choose "mine" vs "their" versions) and only then,
at a later point, coming back to a text-based version that allows you to
fix the details. Why not go the other way around, in a simpler and already
familiar (to some at least) yet flexible solution of starting with the
text-based version, since we are editing wiki syntax after all?

IMO, the easiest thing we could do is that, when a save is attempted, a
merge should be attempted first. If no conflict occurs and the merge can be
done automatically, the save should be done on the DB as well and the user
should not perceive anything, thus not affecting his flow.

Note: I hope we are all on the same page when I say that the merge conflict
resolution should target/work on wiki syntax in the UI as well.

If, however, conflicts do occur, the save does not go to the DB. Instead:
* If it was a save&continue, the UI should inform the user (popup/bottom
screen notification) that the save failed because of a conflict and offer
the possibility to keep editing or resolve the conflict
* If it was a save&view (or if the user clicked "resolve conflict" after a
failed save&continue), the UI should reload the (wiki) editor with the
entire merged content that will include the conflicts in a way that is (at
least in the first implementation) similar to how git conflicts are
displayed in a file, i.e. clearly marked in the content (where the conflict
starts and ends), showing your version vs the version that is currently on
the server (in the DB). Example (with html, but imagine wiki syntax here
and we could use something better than "HEAD", etc.):
https://d33v4339jhl8k0.cloudfront.net/docs/assets/55c3b5cae4b01fdb81eb1259/images/569e7be1c697914361560809/file-AzxXs4HkkG.png

An improved version (iteration) of this could then be to use something like
CodeMirror's "merge" addon (since we already use CodeMirror in the syntax
highlighting application). It supports 2-way or 3-way display and live diff
computation between the versions, synchronized scrollbars, and other neat
stuff: https://codemirror.net/demo/merge.html We could decide if in "our"
version we include the user's original version OR if we put directly the
merged version (where the auto-merges are already applied) OR if we have a
button under the user's original version to perform auto-merge on request,
leaving just the remaining conflicts to be handled by the user. Finally,
when save&view is pressed in this mode (note: probably we need to disable
save&continue so that the "conflict resolution" action is "atomic", i.e.
without leaving the content in an unfinished merge state), whatever the
edited version is will overwrite the DB version of the document (i.e. force
with whatever it contains).

WDYT?

Thanks,
Eduard