On Tue, 06 Dec 2016, James McCoy wrote:
> > When I work on Kali packages, I almost always get a lintian error because
> > lintian doesn't know of the suite
>
> Can't that particular issue be fixed with vendor information provided
> for lintian?  That's already done for Ubuntu.

Probably. But this will not work when I build a Kali source package
on my Debian system. It will only help when I build in a Kali chroot, no?

> > I want to be informed of the errors but I don't
> > want the whole build process to be stopped... I want "gbp buildpackage" to
> > create my tag and I want debuild to sign my package.
>
> While I understand that the change is unexpected, wouldn't it be better
> to resolve the errors "globally" rather than just for your dev
> environment?

Certainly but I also fear it will encourage people to add undue overrides
just so that the build does not fail.

> > If you consider this a regression, then the default check hook should have
> > some "|| true" added at the end or something like that (or you can also
> > add a new option to ignore the result and have its default to true instead
> > of false).
>
> I can't do any of the above without pulling the execution of lintian
> back into debuild.  The actual command-line being run isn't in debuild's
> control (to the extent that we could do an equivalent of "|| true") and
> all debuild knows is that dpkg-buildpackage failed.  It has no idea that
> it was due to the check command (lintian).

Well, you pass --check-command=lintian and you pass the check-options too.

While I now see that you can't pass "|| true" at the end of the command,
you can pass a "--no-fail" option to lintian if lintian had such an option
(it currently does not have anything like that though).

So I guess we would have to open a bug against lintian and block
this one by the lintian bug.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer