On Sun, Jun 04, 2017 at 10:21:39AM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Jun 03, 2017 at 01:45:36PM -0400, James McCoy wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 03, 2017 at 11:37:15PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > > OK, here is my try to do the following.  Ugly, yes.  But it seems to
> > > catch most errors in friendly way.
> > >
> > >  * "egrep" test to catch space after "="
> > >  * "set -e" to detect command not found;
> > >    * space before "="
> > >    * "false" in line
> > >  * "bash -n" test
> > >  * Report the file name if a bug is found as much.
> > >
> > > If no objection, I will apply this patch to git.
> >
> > The concept looks like a step in the right direction.  However, uscan.pl
> > isn't the only script that does this type of config parsing.
> >
> > Also, I would wait until after Stretch is released.
>
> Certainly.
>
> To be honest, I am not a fun of sourcing config file as BASH script.

Neither am I, but it's been that way for ~15 years now...  I'd also
prefer not to have /etc/devscripts manipulated in postinst to add new
config variables and for it to be a conffile (or not exist at all by
default).

> * Should we allow such bash config?

I think it's a bit too late to change that, unfortunately.

> * Should we consolidate and factorize such scripts to be shared among
>   all scripts to reduce maintenance burden?

Yes.  That's been something which has been discussed many times over the
years, but no one has done it.

Cheers,
--
James
GPG Key: 4096R/91BF BF4D 6956 BD5D F7B7  2D23 DFE6 91AE 331B A3DB