On 6 Feb 2017, at 14:08, Todd Mancini wrote:

> It's cool, if you need it (i.e. your repo is really massive).

For me it is a nice alternative to handle some of limits of git submodules.

> Note that it
> means that you need to be online to do a number of operations that you once
> thought were local, unless you do some good planning for all of the files
> you may need to get your work done offline.
>
> Windows Filter Drivers, which this is built upon, are cool -- you can add
> all sorts of tricks to the file system. (FUSE in Linux is very similar.)
>
> Our model of Spaces + multiple Codebases hopefully gives users a better
> alternative -- a logical collection of multiple repos, no OS tricks
> required. :)

Not really comparable. monorepos have really nice advantages over
going completely crazy having tons of multiple repos - and well balanced
set of standalone repos have other advantages over monorepos.

If something like git vfs had been around earlier I think we would have
a much saner balance of repos.

/max

> On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 11:08 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen <mande...@redhat.com>
> wrote:
>

>> https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudioalm/2017/02/03/
>> announcing-gvfs-git-virtual-file-system/
>>
>> If this works then that is amazing and I hope it gets adoption fast and
>> can be used outside just windows.
>>
>> Being able to checkout/clone subparts of a git Repo incrementally is super
>> useful and could solve or reduce a lot of workflow issues created by Gits
>> limits.
>>
>> /max
>> http://about.me/maxandersen

/max