I seem my confusion - our tutorial says "use minishift" and you broke the
rules with "oc cluster up" :-)

For now, I prefer to stick with minishift as "oc cluster up" is for
upstream contributors while minishift more for end-users.

I suspect the Openshift team would not want "oc docker-env".   You can only
expose the docker daemon when it runs on localhost and "oc" is used for any
openshift cluster.  In general, it is simply harder to work with a remote
openshift + docker images.