On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 8:03 PM, Gerard Braad <gbr...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Only after the first/initial start After this the address is fixed and
> will be applied to the VM on start.
> It writes a configuration file into the persistent storage of the VM
> and this is read on start every time.

Hi Burr,

I have a question for you.  When we implemented  "--set-static" feature we
had the question around whether --set-static should be part of "minishift
start" or "minishift ip".  There were arguments for both the sides. This
was one of the reason we kept this feature as experimental. When a feature
is experimental we look for user feedback and then we can make changes
without keeping backward compatibility.

As Gerard mentioned we need existing Minishift instance to run minishift ip
--set-static  and you just need to run it once during the first start.

If you run it without the instance then you will get below error

$ minishift ip --set-static
Error getting IP: Docker machine "minishift" does not exist. Use
"docker-machine ls" to list machines. Use "docker-machine create" to add a
new one.

We have an issue [1] to improve the error message, but it is clear that it
needs a running instance.

Now my question is, what you think would be a better user experience
"minishift start --set-static" or "minishift ip --set-static" or something
else.

Also upstream Minishift has a mailing list [2]. I would request you to use
that as we do not consider devtools@redhat.com as our upstream mailing
list.

[1] https://github.com/minishift/minishift/issues/2163

[2] https://lists.minishift.io/admin/lists/minishift.lists.minishift.io/