* Walking with Peace and Presence*
by Thich Nhat Hanh <http://www.explorefaith.org/bio.tnh.html>
delivered Saturday morning
September 28, 2002
Peace Walk 2002
Memphis, Tennessee
with an Introduction of Thich Nhat Hanh 
<http://www.explorefaith.org/tnh/tnh_intro.html>*
*By Dr. Paul R. Dekar

Peace is something we can contemplate every day. Walking meditation is 
one of the ways to contemplate peace, and today we are going to walk 
together, generating the energy of peace, solidity, and freedom. I 
suggest that when you breathe in, you make three steps. Bring your 
attention to the soles of your feet, and become aware of the contact 
between your foot and the ground. Bring your attention down from the 
level of the brain to the soles of your feet. Breathing in, we make 
three steps, and we may tell ourselves with each step, "I have arrived. 
I have arrived. I have arrived." And breathing out, we make another 
three steps, always mindful of the contact between our feet and the 
ground, and we say, "I'm home. I'm home. I'm home."

Arrived where? Where is our home? According to the teaching and the 
practice of the Buddha, life is available only in the present moment, in 
the here and the now. And when you go back to the present moment, you 
have a chance to touch life, to encounter life, to become fully alive 
and fully present. That is why every step brings us back to the present 
moment, so that we can touch the wonders of life that are available. 
Therefore, when I say, "I have arrived," I mean I have arrived in the 
here and the now -- the only place, the only time where and when life is 
available, and that is my true home.

The Buddha said that the past is already gone, and the future is not yet 
here. There is only one moment for us to live, and that is the present 
moment. We have an appointment with life, and that appointment takes 
place in the present moment. If we miss the present moment, we miss our 
appointment with life, which is serious. In our daily life, we have a 
tendency to think about the past, to get caught in the sorrow and regret 
concerning the past, and to get caught in the fear and uncertainty about 
the future, so our mind is not in the present moment. That is why it is 
very important to learn how to go back to the present moment in order to 
become fully alive, fully present. Walking meditation helps us do that 
easily.

When I begin, I make two or three steps and I practice arriving. "I have 
arrived. I am home." It means, I don't want to run anymore, because I 
know that conditions for my happiness are already here in the present 
moment. Sometimes we believe that happiness is not possible in the here 
and the now; we need a few more conditions to be happy. So we run 
towards the future to get the conditions we think are missing. But by 
doing so we sacrifice the present moment, we sacrifice true life. 
Therefore, learning how to go home to the present moment is the basic 
practice of mindfulness. "I have arrived. I am home." My home is right 
here, right now. I don't want to run anymore. The habit of running may 
have been transmitted to me by my parents, and I may have been running 
all my life. Now I don't want to run anymore, I want to stop. Walking 
meditation helps us learn to stop in order to be truly alive, truly 
present. "I have arrived. I am home."

If you walk like that with every step, the energy of mindfulness and 
concentration will be there to support you. And the place where you walk 
becomes the pure land of the Buddha or the kingdom of God. The blue sky, 
the beautiful vegetation, the face of a child, the flower blooming -- 
all these wonders belong to the kingdom of God, to the pure land of the 
Buddha. We allow separation between us and those wonders of life because 
we allow anger, fear, grieving, and despair to stand in our way. Going 
home to our body by mindful breathing will help us let go of our 
worries, our regret and our fear, and that is the basic condition for us 
to get in touch with the wonders of life that are truly present in the 
here and the now.

We should walk in such a way that the pure land of the Buddha, the 
kingdom of God becomes a reality in the here and the now. There is not 
one day when I do not enjoy walking in the kingdom of God, in the pure 
land of the Buddha. Why should I deprive myself of that pleasure? I need 
only some energy of mindfulness, of concentration, in order to penetrate 
into the kingdom of God, into the pure land of the Buddha.

The kingdom of God is available to you in the here and the now. But the 
question is whether you are available to the kingdom. Our practice is to 
make ourselves ready for the kingdom so that it can manifest in the here 
and the now. You don't need to die in order to enter the kingdom of 
heaven. In fact, you have to be truly alive in order to do so. It's not 
too difficult. Just breathe in and bring your mind back to your body. 
That is the practice of mindfulness.

Mindfulness of breathing can be combined with mindfulness of walking, 
and you will continue to get the nourishment and healing that is 
available in the here and the now. Let us walk in such a way that every 
step can bring us stability, freedom, healing, and transformation. In 
order for each step to be solid, to be free, to be healing, to be 
nourishing, we need the energy of mindfulness and concentration. That 
energy can be obtained by mindful breathing, mindful stepping. "I have 
arrived. I am home." That is not a statement. That is a practice, and 
you will know whether you have arrived or not in the here and the now. 
You don't need another person to tell you. If you are truly established 
in the here and the now, you feel free, and you can get in touch with 
all the wonders of life that are available to you. Every step is an 
enjoyment.

Peace is the outcome of that practice. Walk in such a way that peace 
becomes a reality in every cell of your body, in every cell of your 
consciousness, because our consciousness is also made of cells. Mental 
formations, feelings, perception - they're all the cells of our 
consciousness. And when we breathe peacefully, the peace of our breath 
will penetrate into our body and into our mind. Then very soon, in no 
time at all, body, mind, and breath will become one in concentration, 
and we get the energy of stability, solidity, and freedom generated by 
every step we make. "I have arrived. I am home." That is a practice.

After a few minutes, you may move to the second line of the poem: "In 
the here. In the now." It means I have arrived in the here and the now. 
I am at home in the here and the now. The address of the pure land, the 
address of the kingdom of God, the address of peace and brotherhood is 
here and now. If you want to meet the Buddha, if you want to touch God, 
if you want to touch the ultimate dimension, that is the address: the 
here and the now. It is very special.

After some time, you might like to move to the third line. "I am solid. 
I am free." Solidity and freedom are the most important characteristics 
of happiness. Without some solidity, without some freedom, true 
happiness is not possible; therefore, every step should be able to 
generate more of the energy of solidity and freedom. And, again, this is 
not a wish or a declaration. If you are able to make steps, they can 
bring you back to the here and the now. You become more solid and freer 
with every step. So, "I am solid, I am free" means I notice that now I 
am more solid, I am freer. That makes the practice much more pleasant, 
because every step helps to bring more solidity and freedom to you. You 
walk like a prince. You walk like a lion, a princess. You walk like a 
king, because you are truly yourself, with all your serenity. "I am 
solid. I am free."

Every step becomes a delight. Every step has the power to heal, to 
transform. Not only can we heal ourselves by our steps, but we can help 
heal the Earth and the environment.

The last line of the poem is, "In the ultimate I dwell." There are two 
dimensions to reality. The first dimension is called the historical 
dimension, and the second dimension is the ultimate dimension. We have 
an ultimate dimension--the ground of our being--and if we know how to 
live deeply every moment of our historical dimension, we are able to 
touch our ultimate dimension.

It is like a wave. A wave may seem to have a beginning and end. A wave 
might be seen as high or low, big or small, different or not different 
from other waves. These terms--beginning, ending, high, low, more or 
less beautiful--they belong to the dimension called historical, but the 
wave is at the same time the water. Water transcends the form of the 
wave, the idea of beginning, ending, high, or low. These notions apply 
to the wave but not to the water. The moment when the wave realizes that 
she is water, she loses all her fear and she enjoys much more being a 
wave. She is free from birth and death, being and non-being, high or 
low, because when we are able to touch our ultimate dimension, we are no 
longer subjected to fear-- fear of being; fear of non-being; fear of 
birth; fear of death.

This is a very, very deep practice. When you've touched your true 
foundation, your true nature, the nature of no birth and no death, then 
non-fear arises. And with non-fear, true happiness will become possible. 
It is possible to live each moment of our daily life in such a way that 
helps us to touch our ultimate dimension. And this is a wonderful way to 
transcend fear.

"I have arrived. I am home. In the here. In the now. I am solid. I am 
free. In the ultimate I dwell." Four lines guiding us in our practice of 
walking meditation. Let us practice together as a Sangha, as a 
community. Let us flow like a river, generating peace with every step we 
make. There is no walk for peace; peace is the walk. By walking, we 
generate peace within our body, our consciousness. We embrace and heal 
the pain, the sorrow, the fear in us, and that is the ground for helping 
peace to be a reality in the world. Let us sing these lines together in 
order to help memorize the four lines of the song: "I have arrived. I am 
home. In the here and in the now. I am solid. I am free. In the ultimate 
I dwell."

Let us walk together and let us generate the energy of peace and 
happiness and joy. Let us transform this place and this time into the 
kingdom of God, into the pure land of the Buddha. This is possible. The 
collective energy of mindfulness will be generated and penetrate into 
every one of us for our transformation and healing. Happy walking for 
everyone.

Copyright 2002 Thich Nhat Hanh



------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page
http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/UlWolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

** Menyadari apa yang sesungguhnya sedang terjadi SAAT INI di dalam diri saya 
maupun di luar diri saya **

** Kami kembali tuk hidup dalam kekinian yang menakjubkan; tuk menanami taman 
hati kami benih-benih kebajikan; serta membuat fondasi pengertian dan cinta 
kasih yang kokoh **

** Kami mengikuti jalur perhatian penuh, latihan tuk melihat dan memahami 
secara mendalam agar mampu melihat hakikat segala sesuatu, sehingga terbebas 
dari belenggu kelahiran dan kematian **

** Kami belajar tuk: berbicara dengan penuh cinta kasih, menjadi penuh welas 
asih, menjadi perhatian terhadap pihak-pihak lain pagi ataupun sore hari,  
membawa akar-akar suka cita ke banyak tempat, membantu sesama melepaskan 
kesedihan; dan tuk menanggapi dengan penuh rasa syukur kebajikan orang tua, 
para guru, serta sahabat-sahabat kami ** 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Dharmajala/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Kirim email ke