Hi Thanh

On 3 March 2010 19:59, Ngoc Thanh Nguyen <thanh.hispviet...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> think myself and Saptarshi have provided some links to literature on
>> the subject.  Just googled this one fresh for example
>>
>> (http://books.google.com/books?id=X0JeKx8-J0cC&pg=PA59&lpg=PA59&dq=norway+patient+identifier&source=bl&ots=6C8eZlwxLb&sig=zTY4mpmxpNtvGGz-hssv3KVEQh8&hl=en&ei=F46OS7KHEJO7jAfZocDpAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CB8Q6AEwBA)
>> coz it mentions Norway - what a horrible url - and not a great
>> article.  You can I'm sure access better quality stuff through the
>> university.
>>
>> In the case of India, where they are now designing a national ID from
>> scratch, they might have taken this issue into account - ie they have
>> the benefit of hindsight that the identifier might (read it always
>> happens!) be used for many purposes beyond what may have been its
>> original intent.  So the ID could be useful if encoded on a card or
>> something, but the downside being that very few people are going to
>> memorize it if it has many random digits.  Alphanumerics can help keep
>> it shorter.
>>
>> I'm not sure if I get your concern about provinces and districts
>> changing etc.  Using a similar scheme but based on facility+unique
>> string a patient would only really need to commit to memory the unique
>> string part in 95% of cases.  She would only need the full number with
>> prefix part when visiting a different facility at which point it would
>> be useful to have the full number on a card, file or what have you.
>> But even then, if she remembered the facility that she got it from, it
>> could be reasonably reconstructed.
>>
>> I can sympathize with the desire for simplicity and I think we should
>> strive for a simple solution.  But given that is widely accepted that
>> encoding the birthdate and gender in a patient id is a bad practice I
>> don't think it is wise to roll-out a new personal identification
>> system like this.  To me it might indicate a certain amateurism and
>> lack of familiarity with the literature which could reflect badly on
>> the project.  Particularly as you are undergoing your security review.
>>  I also do know that the openmrs guys have really put a lot of thought
>> into this.
>>
>> So my warning would be if you go ahead with birthdates and gender you
>> should be prepared to be hammered from all sides.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Bob
>>

> I think we can take a look at here
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_identification_number to see how
> countries in the world dealing with this problem. While putting birthdate in
> the ID is considered as a violence of privacy, most of countries use it in
> their national ID systems. They might do thing wrong? ID system, as I
> perceive, is very similar to a infrastructure with its installed based.
> Addressing it is not the problem of good or bad but what the current
> situation is and how to build upon that, I think.

The wikipedia article you refer to deals with national ids.  From the
same source re patient identifiers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASTM_E_1714#Patient_confidentiality_and_access_security

Not that I'm in favour of the 28 digit sample.  That seems not to be
appropriate where manual systems are the norm.  But the desirable
characteristics of a patient identifier are worthwhile being aware of.
 Its ok of course to deviate from them with good reason, but lets
start from what is generally considered good practice and work from
there.

Bob