Hi Saptarshi

On 5 March 2010 17:50, Saptarshi Purkayastha <sun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Have done a complete revamp of the mobile client application. Earlier we
> used simple MIDP 2.0 components and required programming the form. The form
> was simple, but required JavaME knowledge. New code can be downloaded from
> here.

I didn't get the "here" link :-(  Please check - mybe my mail client.
But the screenshots look promising.  Probably have to key through it
to really get a feeling.

> The new approach has few advantages:
> 1.) Can be generated from DHIS2 by selecting datasets/data elements (No
> JavaME programming required)
> 2.) Completely maven-ized. No need for ant
> 3.) Looks same on all phones (earlier had issues with low-end Nokia phones
> which truncated textfield labels)
> 4.) Works on the cheapest currently manufactured java-enabled phone (tested
> with Nokia 1680)
> 5.) Can be used to report patient program stage data elements
> 6.) No separate SMS Listener. Inside DHIS 2 web server. (needs some more
> work)

What are the security considerations here?  Will you be relying on the
closed user group?  I know you have really packed a lot into the sms
format you have devised - is there space in their for any sort of
identifier (for audit purposes)?  I don't have the answers to all of
these.  Just firing off the questions :-)

> Issues:
> 1.) Requires WTK libraries, which can be installed part of Sun WTK on the
> DHIS 2 server, but the war file remains unaffected
> 2.) Requires health workers to download full application on phone, even if
> only 1 data element is changed in the dataset
> Attached are screenshots of the UI on which I need some comments. The UI is
> more customizable now and has calendar, themes, drop-downs, lists etc. Only
> 2-button interface, because some phones may not have the middle button.
> The web-module is still under-development and plan is to release the
> full-package pre-beta version on 15th March after which, we can test,
> comment and get a direction to where we should take the mobile application.
> I don't think SMS are the best way to send patient data. Atleast not for the
> number of elements and number of patients in Indian context. For which I
> suggest XForms are the best way forward.

Yes that should also address issue number 2 above.  I guess you are
planning http (or better https with client certificate
authentication)?

good stuff.

Bob