On 23 April 2010 09:04, Bob Jolliffe <bobjolli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23 April 2010 08:54, Jason Pickering <jason.p.picker...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I somewhat agree with Bob, but I also see good reasons why packaging a
>> browser is a good idea. There seems to be pretty wide variation
>> between different browsers, and while it is a good idea to support
>> many different ones, it is also a lot of work. If we could focus on
>> being sure that all the browser-related bugs are not present, for
>> instance in Chrome or Firefox,  for a particular release, this would
>> ensure that the app is going to work properly in a production
>> environment.  I have seen a lot of problems in the field with people
>> installing toolbars, browser hijacking, etc that really is going to
>> complicate deployments unnecessarily.
>>
>> After looking at the code, it seems that setting an environment
>> variable might be the best solution, perhaps.
>> This could be set as part of the installation process. If the
>> environment variable exists (DHIS2_BROWSER) for example, then it would
>> attempt to open up DHIS2 with this. Otherwise, it would default to the
>> current Desktop.getDesktop().browse( URI.create (getUrl() ) ) ); which
>> will simply launch the default browser.
>
> I guess this could work with an exec.  I'll take a look.

Though I am reluctant to depend on the environment variable for the
out-of-the-box experience.  The nice thing about dhis-live is that you
can drop it in and run it.  It is this zero-install-fiddling which
people like.  Setting environment variables is the next level of
customisation and sophistication for users.  Other possibilities:

(i)   check for the existence of a "portable-firefox" folder.  If
available use that.
(ii)  open a dialog on first invocation requesting users to pick a
browser (I have no idea at this stage how to list them).  But that
choice would have to be persisted somehow.