Trimming is certainly the least that we should do. I have recently
come up against a problem with some sort of tick marks (UNICODE 0x92)
which look like apostrophes (which are bad enough) but are not. These
seem to get inserted from copy/paste from Excel or Word who
conveniently changes normal apostrophes to these weird characters
which are not, but may appear to the user to be.

Trim is a good start, but we still need think about  more strict
(regex) validation.

Regards,
jason