Can anybody tell me what is modifying the hibernate configuration
files?  I (perhaps naively) thought that the developer writes these
and keeps under version control.

Every now again I see that they have changed - usually just formatting
changes.  Like they are being read and then written back out again by
"something". What on earth can be doing this?

Have noticed this for a while now but this has caused me some grief
today as I have included a couple of XML ENTITY declarations which
after compiling and installing seem to have disappeared again.

Baffled.
Bob