Alice it seems (from the symptoms) you are probably working with a
dhis2.8 war file.  In which case you are probably correct.  You can
get everything from metadata.xml but it is a lot :-)  Though probably
mostly its orgunits which are what you need anyway.

To start using the more refined features you really need to work with
a 2.9 snapshot, which you can either build yourself or download
whatever is latest build from

http://apps.dhis2.org/ci/job/dhis-web-trunk/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/dhis-2/dhis-web/dhis-web-portal/target/dhis.war

Note this gets rebuilt frequently.