Yeah, this is a particularly tricky part of the model to work with directly
through the database. It is very easy to mess things up here. Using the
WebAPI would be a much better option if at all possible.

At any rate, that part of the documentation should be fairly up to date,
but unwinding everything in SQL can be a task, depending on what you need
to do.

Regards,
Jason