It "should" work indeed.  I haven't tested out downgrading the tomcat
related packages yet.  It might not be so straightforward.  Also of course
it is a bit of a concern as all of the tomcat upgrades on a "normally"
configured ubuntu system would be security upgrades.  So we would be asking
users to run with known vulnerabilities which I am a little uneasy about.

What we are saying effectively is that dhis2 v2.23 and earlier has a flaw
which requires it to be run on a tomcat with known vulnerabilities.
Effectively this translates to a vulnerability (in fact a bundle) in 2.23
for which the real remedy is to upgrade to 2.24.  Downgrading tomcat is a
distant second best workaround.

I still have to scratch my head a bit to figure out and test a neat/quick
way to achieve this with dhis2-tools where it might be difficult to do a
quick upgrade to 2.24.