This might be pointing to a larger debate I feel:

About Software-as-a-Service (SaaS)  Vs Software deployment. Enough has been
said by Salesforce on pricing benefits, and is a similar argument by Google
docs against Microsoft Office. That DHIS2 is not available as SaaS could be
critiqued by some, but freedom is one obvious argument against SaaS.
Richard Stallman, in my opinion correctly pointed out that freedom is
compromised through such SaaS - http://bostonreview.net/BR35.2/stallman.php

We should do a TCO exercise, since we are the largest implementers of
DHIS2. But anyone who wants to start a SaaS with DHIS2, should be the
people really doing it. That would be good exercise to determine per-user
cost of providing such a service.

PS: I think this is useful to discuss on the users list, hence sending
there...

---
Regards,
Saptarshi PURKAYASTHA