Are you installing on a server, or just on your own laptop? If the latter,
I suggest you just use DHIS Live instead, much easier.

However, if a server, then you will need to create a persistent DHIS2_HOME
environment variable

Our instructions are vague - it just says it needs to be added "to your
environment" without explaning what that means.

export JAVA_HOME='/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/'
export JAVA_OPTS='-Xmx7500m -Xms4000m'
export DHIS2_HOME='/home/dhis/config'

See the section  System-wide environment variables here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnvironmentVariables