I have not done this, but I imagine that hibernate cache replication
between instances is something that really needs to be done to have this
sort of scaling configuration work.

I do remember there was a brief flirtation with hazelcast before reverting
to ehcache.  Is anybody using ehcache in this way ie. for replication in a
clustering setup?