Dear Stephen,
Please do as follows:
Turn off the software RAID in BIOS, and it should work fine.

    To disable the Bxxxi RAID, do this:

    On Boot press F9 and enter the Setup

    System Options
       SATA Controller Options
           Embedded SATA Configuration : Enable SATA Legacy Support

       HP Dynamic Smart Array Bxxxi RAID Controller : Disabled

    PCI Device Enable/Disable

       Intel(R) SATA Controller #1 : Enabled
       Intel(R) SATA Controller #2 : Enabled
       HP Dynamic Smart Array Accelerator Manager : Disabled

And then install Ubuntu again.

--
Regards,

Gerald