Sorry for this slow response, time has not been on my side 😊
Also, thanks Bob, Knut and Hannan for your responses.

So to fill everyone in, I went through postgres.conf with a fine toothed comb.
@ Bob, Shared buffers were set to 3200 though I'd set them to 1600 for the
restore as per this article's suggestions:
http://www.databasesoup.com/2014/09/settings-for-fast-pgrestore.html
Overall I'm convinced the PGSQL environment had nothing to do with the issue...
what I had suspect is that the combination of Ubuntu 16.04 and our hardware was
not a good match.  I suspect the SATA channel in particular was the bottleneck.

To prove a point (I have two identical machines), I loaded Win Server 2012 R2
and and installed PGSQL 9.5.5 on the box and, without so much as tweaking a
single file, I restored the dump within 50 minutes.  We're likely upgrading the
platform soon so I'm not going to break my back troubleshooting what is likely
an issue that won't be there in 6 months time.  Dell didn't include Debian or
Ubuntu on their list of supported OS for the hardware combination, though I
have no reason to believe it couldn't work with a little effort and a bit of
old school compiling, I just don't have the luxury of time to fiddle.  It
worked well with 12.04 out of the box.
I just thought I'd post this in case anyone else was having similar trouble -
if you've double checked the configs, it's quite possibly a lower level issue.
Cheers!
Ed