Some excellent tips, thank you Elmarie.
Regards
Ed

From: Elmarie Claasen [mailto:elma...@hisp.org]
Sent: Sunday, 16 July 2017 3:00 PM
To: Edward Robinson <erobin...@projectbalance.com>
Cc: DHIS 2 Users list <dhis2-users@lists.launchpad.net>
Subject: Re: [Dhis2-users] Upgrading from 2.16

Hi Edward,

Wow this is quite far back. We upgrading some instances from 2.20 now and
everything is going fine, provided that you drop SQL views before the upgrade.
SQL views often hold table updates effected through war upgrades. From 2.23 to
2.23 you need to read about changes required to sms config if used.

Read the upgrade documentation for each version, some has scripts which you
must run, others execute an upgrade routine with first startup of the war file.

We have find issues when not upgrading incrementally and also starting up the
server after each upgrade, so this is recommended. You may find it difficult to
find the link to older war files but check the URL for download of newer
versions and just change the version number in the war accordingly.

I would take care if any of the implementations are tracker because tracker got
a major overhaul since then including changes in tables. You will find apps
like individual records etc chenging to tracker and event capture.

Through learning some hard lessons we usually upgrade on a test instance first
and test all existing functionality properly. Also had some issues with table
or column updates so we download a Sierra Leone database of the same version
and compare the tables and columns in that instance vs ours with a SQL view.

Good luck

Elmarie

On 16 Jul 2017 20:10, "Edward Robinson"