On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 9:37 PM, dunn <dnaugh...@dunnamin.com> wrote:

>  Alex,
>
> Very good advice on the 40%.  I tried that but for my multi-page diagram,
> Dia still printed the same 6 pages to pdf with the 40% part at the upper
> left of each page.

That's odd. Can you post (or privately send me) an example? What OS and DIA
version are you using?

We have been using multi-page diagrams for years, first in Linux and lately
on OS X. We use landscape mode and the printing is so good it actually
allows to tape large models together. Printing starts at top left sheet and
moves to the pages on the right, then row by row, so our diagrams usually
start on 0,0 and we grow them down and right from there.

> So I tried importing the svg into Inkscape set to cm, but it then printed
> the text at 1/16" instead of 1/8" (Inkscape does not do well with
> measurements!).  So just exporting an svg and shrinking it will be the way
> to go, as you say.

As with any tool you need to figure out if DIA is the right tool for you.
It's not a CAD tool for precision but it's an awesome modelling tool. For
example we model in UML class diagrams and then export the DDL using
dia2code. You can parse the DIA XML with basically any tool perhaps even
with XSL and a standard XML parser.

> What I'm after mostly is nice svg files for the web anyway. Printing will
> work itself out :-).

If you are looking for a generic CAD-style SVG editor perhaps Inkscape is
better suited or maybe even a combination of both tools.

Best,
Alex