Le 5 décembre 2018 18:32:47 GMT+01:00, Steve Litt <sl...@troubleshooters.com> a
écrit :

>What's wrong with Dia just the way it is? It works. It's exportable
>into Inkscape for conversion to SVG.

Good point, but that also means to repeatidly rewrites by hand the diagram
shapes and so on.

An UNIX way would be to implement a "Dia import" plugin for Inkscape.

>Sure, I have a few qualms with the way Dia works, mainly having to do
>with the relationship between text and shapes, but perhaps some good
>workaround documentation would settle that. I'd love to have
>Visio-quality diagram components, and perhaps if somebody writes some
>docs on how to make your own components with the connection points
>*you* want, that will be solved.

/think the connection points would embed nodes like "special" scripts (as an
array), next endpoint, former endpoint, (last) relation with endpoint.

We can imagine a typical scripts collection (encoded strings can embed
anything, such as Python). All scripts would have an id on diagram, but
moreover a "name" and "version" you can refer, and especially having a "local"
scheme if customized.

One thing impairing shapes development is that anything dynamic involves C.

I think the used shapes would be embedded as "not visible" in a properties
path,
then the rendered shapes on diagram would use xml id / path. So, scripts would
control how to add/delete/modify a node  and its properties, and what to pass
to parent node. That needs shapes to be rewritten really consistent regarding
xml.

>Plus the fact that if everyone
>authoring new components puts them together in an online hierarchical
>library, perhaps with keyword search, our diagrams could start to rival
>those of visio users.

There were attempts to create shapes libraries (actually, they are), but the
only way to get a consistent collection would be a branch in Dia git for that,
with a QA process (such as bug reports).
/plus a document oriented database (json is back in discussion) (because it is
fast enough), read-only for end-users.

>If some of the libraries used by Dia are in the process of being
>deprecated, then those certainly must be replaced by their successors.
>But other than that, why the emphasis on maintenance? Sometimes
>something's so good it needs no more maintenance (fetchmail is one
>example).
>
>Right now Dia works for people on all sorts of computers. It's very
>DIYable. My experience has been that in many cases, people in a hurry
>to "improve" software end up making it into a buggy, DIY-not-allowed
>monolithic entanglement.
>
>SteveT
>
>Steve Litt
>December 2018 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
>http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21

Je suis née pour partager, non la haine, mais l'amour.
Sophocle, /Antigone, 442 av. JC