Greetings, Sunah Yu!

> I've managed to import the "Test sheet" you provided me and can see it
> in Dia. Unfortunately I have never created SVG files so I can barely
> imagine how to proceed.

> 1. Do I use Dia itself to create the shape I need or an external program
> (like Inkscape which is, as far as I understood, for creating vectorized
> pictures)?

Yes, you can save shapes directly from Dia.
But, frankly speaking, the quality of them would be less than ideal.

> 2. You told me to create "shapes" and "sheets" directories in ~/.dia/
> directory: Where are the other shapes coming with Dia and why do I have
> to place my own shapes here?

It's in the Dia documentation.
User's shapes are placed in the user's profile directory.
System shapes coming with Dia, you don't have to be concerned about them.

> 3. Related to your provided template: What is the "relation" between
> ~/.dia/sheets/Test.sheet and ~/.dia/shapes/Test/test.shape (how do the
> files work together)?

By the shape name exclusively.
Dia scans the entirety of "shapes" directory, then look for "sheets" and match
what it find in the sheets back to the shapes.

> The only file I understand is ~/.dia/shapes/Test/test.png which shows
> your template.

Heh. Heh.

> Sorry for all these questions but this is my first time using free
> software for a more complex task at my university.

Source somebody with XML/SVG knowledge to create necessary shapes for you.
Shouldn't be that hard in the university environment.
Other than that,
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/dia/raw/master/doc/custom-shapes

--
With best regards,