On Tue, 20 Oct 2020, Steve Litt wrote:

I can't imagine anything friendlier than email. It comes to you, you read
it, you reply. No need to join yet another third party, no need to read
and agree to yet another legal contract, many of which have "take your
house" indemnification clauses.

Yes, email is pushed to us while web fora require us to navigate to that
site and pull threads which we want to read. For busy people (yes, many of
us are even in these troubled times) having information pushed to us is much
more convenient and useful.

This experiment seems to have proven itself well enough,
and has since expanded to other territories as well. As such, we
believe it is time to make the same switch for most of our mailing
lists.

I disagree.
+1

Are there complete, detailed instructions on how to do so? And to what
legalese must I agree in order to join GNOME's Discourse?

The JabRef mail list uses discourse but also provides the capabilities for
me (and others like me) to initiate new threads and respond to others using
email only. No need to open a browser tab and navigate to the group's page.

The proposed closure of this mailing list will be on: Oct 30th, 2020

I propose you don't do it.

+1 unless email alone can initiate threads and respond to those we initiate.

Rich