Clifford Meece <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
>   I'm brand new to Dia, so please let me know if I'm treading on ground
> already covered.
>   I would like to contribute to the dia project by adding data modeling
> support with an 'export to SQL' option.  I may even build in the ability
> to go straight to the SQL server to create tables.  Initially I would
> like to support MySQL, but eventually add support for other RDBS later.
>    My initial thoughts were to take the existing code for UML support
> and modify it for an SQL library.
>    Also, I can offer some website space for the Dia project if it is
> needed.
>
> Other areas that I would like to contribute are:
> 1. Automatic export from an SQL database of network infrastructure data
> to a Dia network Diagram.  This will tie in to an existing project that
> I am working on.

I'm actually working on something like this. The first goal is to make
it possible to place table description from databases as objects in
Dia. It's MySql I'm working with and the idea is that dia will get
the table description from the database in real time. The information
to connect to the database will be saved in the file (if desired),
enabling Dia to update the table descriptions on loading of the file.

I haven't come that far, but I'm pretty confident that something will
come out of it. (I made it my assignment in a GUI-programming
course. There's no deadline though...)

I'm interrested in cooperating with others of course.

Other ideas are automatic placement of connectors between primary and
foreign keys, editing and creation of tables and use of GNOME-DB
to connect to other databases than MySql.

--
                - Mårten

mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    *** ICQ: 4356928
mobile: +46 (0)707390385  *** phone: +46 (0)8 16 62 29