On Wed, 16 May 2001, Matti Picus wrote:

> I saw that xfig uses groups and a nice format for its parser, I will
> try to rewrite the DXF importer along those lines.

Thank you!  Ironicallz, the xfig importer was written with inspiration from
the DXF importer.

> At 07:42 AM 5.16.2001 +0200, Steffen Macke wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>> > scaling, and rotation. The current impelmentation of the dxf-import.c
>> > ignores all blocks. From my two hours of looking a the source tarball
>> > from Dia 0.88, it seems that the parallel structure in Dia would be
>> > shapes.
>>
>>Wouldn't groups be enough? The dxf-import could then look up the BLOCK in
>>the DXF and draw it as a group everywhere it is inserted.
>
> Isn't this wasteful in terms of memory, and the possiblity to modify
> once and have the change reflected in many insertions of the same
> group?

Yes, it would be inferior in that way.

>>Shapes don't get stored along with the dia file - they would be lost
>>after saving the dxf as a dia file.
>
> Too bad. What would it involve to allow shapes to be stored in a dia
> file?

Well, export to shape files does that already, so look that up.  Also, the
plugin menu of the toolbox allows loading modules, so you could have a
'dynamic' module that is reloaded every time a new shape is created.  It's
all in there.  In fact, it would be useful overall to, say, have a 'Create
Shape' menupoint (creating shapes dynamically from objects/groups).

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause) | Hårdgrim of Numenor
"I do not agree with a word that you say, but I    | Retainer of Sir Kegg